Economic Education Month
Economics is the study of making sound decisions in managing scarce resources which is an essential skill for all people. October is Economic Education month.
The aim of economic education is to equip students with skills and tools for their economic roles as productive workers, informed consumers and savers, involved citizens, and lifelong decision-makers in a globally interdependent world.
Economic education must be established and maintained in our PreK-12 schools, where even young children are capable of learning basic economic concepts that help them understand their economic world.
Economic education in our schools depends on PreK-12 educators equipped with high-quality training and resources to ensure students have equitable access to classroom lessons that develop the skills necessary to make informed choices as citizens.
OCTOBER 2022 PROGRAM CALENDAR
All webinar participants will receive a resource and a $10 eGift card.
How YOU Can Support Economic Education
Economic education is real life education.
It's about choices. We make hundreds of choices each day. Our job is not to teach students what to think, but how to think.
We provide teachers with resources to integrate economic vocabulary and experiences into their existing classroom curriculum - in math, science, reading, and social studies. Our goal is to help teachers successfully set their students up for success to develop their human capital, to make wise choices, to be financially literate, and to understand our free-market economy.
By training teachers to use economics and personal finance in their classrooms, we can build a generation of effective leaders.
Every gift, large or small, helps create the opportunity for Economics Arkansas staff to continue to train current and future teachers through professional development and resources to teach economics, personal finance, and the free-enterprise system using practical and innovative methods.
Teachers - be sure to check out these economic resources!
- Council for Economic Education
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
- Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
- Foundation for Teaching Economics
- Marginal Revolution University
- Kids Econ Posters
- Arkansas Farm Bureau
- Dirk Mateer
- Powell Economic Education Foundation
- The Concord Coalition
- EconStories TV
- Econ Express
- Arkansas Center for Research in Economics
- October 4 - Taco Day
- Truckin' Through Economics (Food Truck Unit)
- October 7 - World Smile Day
- October 8 - International Newspaper Carrier Day
- October 12 - National Farmers Day
- October 17 - National Pasta Day
- October 20 - National Get Smart About Credit Day
- Econ Lowdown Video: "Understanding How a FICO Credit Score is Determined"
- October 22 - National Color Day
- October 26 - National Pumpkin Day
- National Agriculture in the Classroom - Pumpkins...Not Just for Halloween Lesson
- October 27 - National Civics Day
- EconEdLink - Election Economics Unit Collection
- October 29 - Black Tuesday (Wall Street Crash of 1929)
- October 20 - National Candy Corn Day
- Decisions! Decisions! LiveBinder
- National Book Month - So Many Books, So Little Time LiveBinder
- National Cookie Month - Cookienomics LiveBinder
- National Pizza Month - Pizzanomics LiveBinder
- "CEO Stories" - This is Capitalism
- "Freakonomics" Radio
- "Women in Economics" - Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- "Planet Money" - NPR
- "Think Like An Economist" - Himalaya Media Inc
These are just a few of our favorites; there are a lot of options out there!